I wouldn't wish this process on anyone. Its a terrible feeling to be homeless. I am a creature with out habitat. My ecosystem has been removed and I am restless. There has been alot of time spent in my car. Not just driving the extended commute, but also taking naps and eating. Where do YOU eat your drive through? At home? At work? And when you have about 2 hours to kill, what do YOU do?
They are now at work rebuilding the house. It seems like eternity since I lived there. What was at first estimated to be a month long rebuild has now turned into 2 months. There were a few setbacks involving insurance and contractors. There was a 2 week stalemate where no work was done at all. However with that behind us I am hoping that we will pick up speed and will get done ahead of schedule.
I went to check progress and they are hanging drywall. It looks like all of the ceiling has been hung and they are working on the walls. Next will be to mud and tape and then to blow insulation in the attic. I asked them to move a few light fixtures and they were able to do that quite easily since there were just bare rafters above.
When I go to check on the I am there for just minutes. The place that I love and I don't like to be there. Everything has been packed up and moved out to a storage unit in Jefferson City. It has proved to be quite an inconvenience. The weather has turned cold and we have no warm clothes. I don't have the charger for my camera, No heels for fancy outings, No spare car keys, and the list goes on.
Mike has moved over to his parents house. He doesn't sleep well anyway, let alone on an air mattress. His parents still live in the house he grew up in and he feels safe there. He now has access to all of the sports channels and his mom packs his lunch for him everyday in a superman lunch box. It's a comforting feeling to be with your mom and dad- I don't blame him. I am with my mom and my fur children and that seems to work for me. I miss Mike terribly. We schedule dates to see each other. We go out together more now than we ever have. But the dates are short and when they end we leave to go to separate houses. And every time I cry. He is my best friend and I miss him.
Mike's boss layed him off work. This was additional stress we definitely didn't need. When I called my friend Carrie she said, "what kind of shit storm are you in?" However, after a couple days of despair, his boss decided to come to his senses and keep Mike on staff.
I could care less about Halloween this year. I had bought new Halloween decorations at the end of the season last year. I'm sure they didn't survive the flooding. There will be no Halloween lights, no candy bowls, no carved pumpkins, and no trick-or-treaters. We never had that many trick-or-treaters, but those 2 or 3 made a killing on candy.
I find the fall weather comforting. Fall marks a passing of time and that is exactly what I'm looking for. The changing leaves are beautiful. I've been driving the back roads to my moms house at night just to see the trees. It's just more time to spend in the car.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment